Tuesday, July 15, 2014

New Restoration Project - Vintage Apollo Mixte

I took receipt of a vintage Apollo Mixte the other day. I have been wanting to build up a Mixte for quite some time and finally found one that is a great candidate for a restoration.


Apollo Mixte

The bike must have been sitting outdoors in the elements as is evident by the surface rust on the frame. Apart from the surface rust, the Japanese Tange Steel frame seems to be in pretty good shape.

Tange Steel.... Lovely!
The front wheel has a couple of broken spokes so I may try to source some spokes and try my hand at rebuilding a wheel. The rear wheel has a 3 speed Shimano hub that looks in decent shape.

Shimano 3 Speed hub, wonder if it still works.

I'm really digging the Center Pull brakes, but I may need to replace them for a new set as I've had a problem with the brake lever spring snapping on past bike restorations.

Center Pull brakes, loving these.
Good old English threaded bottom bracket is in decent shape, but I'm not sure if I'll keep the Cotter pins so it may get replaced.


English BB on Japanese Bike
I'm not too sure what I have in mind for the old girl, but I'm sure it's going to be a beauty. I've stripped the bike down and it has been sent to the Sand Blasting and Powder coating guys for a new lease on life.

Updates will follow during the build process. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment